I used to be fiercely against wearing black and brown together, especially when it came to leathers. I think I read that rule somewhere in a fashion magazine when I was in my early teens, and I took it as the gospel. You know, along with other silly rules like no white after labor day and vertical stripes are the most flattering stripes.
Clearly, I no longer abide by the black and brown rule when it comes to clothing, but I still get a little weird about it when it comes to leather. I don't think I could ever wear a brown belt with black shoes! Or maybe even a black watch band with tan shoes. Is that silly?
Who knows, here I am, breaking all my own rules with a cognac tote and black boots. It doesn't feel as wrong, for some reason!
(horizonal, for shame!) striped tee: Loft [exact on sale]
Cardigan: J.Crew Factory [same style]
Pants: Gap [similar]
Scarf: H&M [similar]
Boots: Vince Camuto [exact]
Watch: c/o Daniel Wellington [exact]
besides these deep philosophical style conversations, here are a few current MLK Day sales:
- Ann Taylor:
- 40% off full price items (like this perfect blouse, seriously!)
- 70% (!!!) off sale items (go for a fun sweater dress)
- Anthropologie: code EXTRAEXTRA
- 40% off sale items: I'd go for this beautiful scarf -it'll go with everything!
- Banana Republic: code BRWEEKEND, ends 1/19
- 40% off everything (time to finally try a midi skirt because this one is perfect)
- Gap: code DEALS
- 40% off everything: I wish I knew how to wear moto jackets, because this one (that comes in 2 different greys) is so cute
- Lands' End:
- 20% off everything: I ordered this tote for CR's sister for Christmas, and it's gorgeous in real life (go for the monogram!)