|a striped tee for all season: one | two | three|
- While electroconvulsive therapy ("electroshock therapy") seems like it's something that no longer exists (it's over 80 years old), it's actually still a pretty common tool used in the treatment of depression or mania with over a million people receiving it yearly. It's actually one of the safest options for severely depressed pregnant women! Great improvements have been made in the past few decades with the use of anesthesia and muscle relaxants to make it a less terrifying experience for the patient.
- Many performers in "freak shows" of the past actually had medical conditions that predisposed them to their talents. An example of this is Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which due to a defect in connective tissue, and leads to hyperflexibility and stretchy skin. Here's a short video that shows a couple of examples.
- The various vasculitis syndromes are some of my favorite pathological diseases. Kawasaki Disease is pretty interesting disease because it happens in young children. Due to an autoimmune reaction, vessels in these children's' bodies become inflamed, with the most serious of these vessels being the coronary arteries. This can lead to fatal coronary artery aneurysms but don't worry, with the right treatment, mortality is less than half a percent. The treatment is also interesting, as it includes aspirin, which is hardly ever given to children.
on the internet
- Helpful hints for buying on eBay - take it from this lady, she has ninja eBay skills!
- Are you guys participating in Sarah's Top 10 Remix? I'm not getting dressed/blogging consistently enough to do it this time around, but I've loved seeing all of your takes on it!
- I've seen this beautiful midi skirt on several bloggers and just fell in love with it. It's way too expensive and it wouldn't really be something I can wear to work, but a girl can dream, right? (please say right)
- Peplum was something I haven't really gotten in to, but I would love to try on this beautiful lace peplum top. Maybe as a post boards present to myself?
- I love the color of this sheer lipstick - it just looks like it would the prettiest color for spring...and summer...and really, whenever.
- P.S. Don't forget that the Lilly x Target line came out today! I'm stopping by my Target early just to take a look - I have my eye on the wine stoppers, the blue tassel shorts, and the starfish cuff :) This article on the collaboration was also an interesting read - I love that the brand says that everyone should get to enjoy their aesthetic, which is so refreshing.
- Ann Taylor: 40% off select styles
- How beautiful is this dress? Seriously.
- Loft: 40% off everything (code: SHAREIT)
- Love love LOVE this checkered shirt dress
- Just ordered this shift dress. I love that the straps are thick enough to wear a normal bra, and that it comes in talls so it hopefully won't be too short
- Kate Spade: 25% off everything (code: DEAREST)
- We ordered our couch this week! Thank you for all of your suggestions on instagram - we ended up going with the middle color because it's dark enough to hide any stains and floating pet hairs (although it will firmly be a NO PETS couch) but is still a very neutral color. Now I get to start imaginary decorating it and the surrounding space! I love the idea of this ink dot pillow with this gold pillow just because it's a little girly but something that CR will still approve of. Now I just need to figure out how to convince him that this gold coral is a necessary part of that vision...
- We're at the part of board studying where the days are starting to run together and I'm just kind of numb to the amount of time we spend studying. On Wednesday we spent 12 hours at the library, and then studied for another 3 after coming home. It sounds nuts, but the hours just kind of fly by.
- Spring is officially here! CR and I went on a three mile run yesterday by the lake, and it was so nice to be outside for a little while. I haven't ran in a while, just ellipticalled all winter, and yesterday made me realize how much I miss running. We are thinking about signing up for a half marathon sometime this summer!