|when in doubt, go with stripes.|
- A recent study has shown that the fiber intake during early adolescence is associated with a lower chance of developing breast cancer. The full study can be found here, but this article on NPR condenses it for an easy read.
- My friend Lizzi sent me this article the other about a woman and her intuition about her labor and delivery. I can't stop thinking about her story, and it will make me think differently in the future if a patient presents similarly.
- While we get our "normal" DNA from both of our parents, there is a small amount of DNA in our mitochondria that we only inherit from our mothers. There are certain diseases called mitochondrial diseases that ethic committees are now discussing if they can't be prevented by doing mitochondrial transplants, so that an embryo would technically have genetic materials from three different people.
on the internet
- How freaking cute is this kiss print top?! I love it with the red purse.
- Y'all know I love my skinny jeans, but I'm ready for something new! I kinda love these dark wash flare/trouser looking pants. Wouldn't they look so good with some cute wedges and a tucked in blouse?
- If I had to choose one color top to wear for the rest of my life, it would be white - I just can't get enough! Kind of enamored with this lacy version from Ann Taylor (plus it's currently 40% off!)
ask me anything
- Why are you studying in America and your Sister in Germany? Are there major differences between medical school?
- The major difference between American and German medical schools is that in America, you go to college first, and then go to four years of medical school. In Germany, you start medical school immediately after high school, and you go for six years. I've always felt more American than German, and I knew that I would spend the rest of my life living in the US, so it made the most sense for me to stay here. My sister always felt more connected to Germany, and she may eventually move back to Europe to work, so those were two big draws for her.
- I'm an MS3, and with the long hours of rotations, I find it hard to cook food and not end up eating unhealthy cafeteria food. Have you been able to keep your 4 hour body diet or do you have tips for food/snacks that you bring on rotations?
- It's been a bit hard to stick to the Four Hour Body diet now that we are on rotations. It was so easy last year because I was home all day long, so I could cook for every meal. Now that's not always the case, and honestly, it's just easier sometimes to eat in the cafeteria instead of making and bringing lunch every day. We do still live by a lot of the rules though - we don't have carbs for breakfast or for dinner, and don't really keep many sugary items or bread in the house. My go to snacks on rotations are carrot sticks, packets of peanut butter, protein bars, and hardboiled eggs. I try to choose the healthier options from the cafeteria, or have a salad. It's definitely not easy to always eat healthy, but it is doable. Like I've mentioned, I put on weight very easily, so not sticking to a strict diet has made me gain a few pounds over the past 7 months, but I know that eating healthier overall and keeping my sanity is more important than five pounds.
- What do you wear while running errands, having coffee with friends or whatever you do during your of time.
- J.Crew Factory: 40% off shirts, sweaters, and shoes
- How cute are these gold flats? They would be the easiest way to dress up any outfit....hmmm, now I really want them!
- A pom-pom tunic that is very similar to the current retail version. White or navy?
- This double striped red sweater is adorable - and with those gold shoes?! I need.
- Macys: sweaters and dresses on sale + extra 25% off
- I don't own anything from Charter Club, but I'm interested just because of how adorable their navy polka dot dress is. Cute, right?
- Also cute? This floral dress - the navy version is my favorite!
- This Lucky waterfall sweater is so good (and now almost 1/3 of the original price!)
- Old Navy: 20% off
- YOU GUYS. Their new grey ombre bag is amazing. Getting this one, for sure.
- May just have to add in this blue gingham dress to the order as well.
- ...and these gingham pants. I like that the pattern is subtle enough to be worn on more relaxed rotations (like that peds rotation coming up!)
- Bonus: Shopbop's recent sale items include lots of boots (now is the time to get them while they make room for spring items!), a new wallet (or passport holder!), and a bunch of great pieces from my favorite BB Dakota.
- I spent Friday night celebrating my bff's birthday as she was back in the area for school, and it was SO good to be reunited with my friends. It was great just to talk, play pool, and cuddle dogs for the night :)
- My trusty first generation iPad was no longer really doing too well, so finally upgraded to an iPad mini this week. I'm very excited about it because it's the perfect white coat size, so now I just need to find the right case for it. Does this dachshund case scream professional? I love it.
- My IM sub-speciality in GI starts tomorrow and I'm so excited. Have any of your medical students done a month the service/do you have any tips for me?