|red bows on my toes|
- I don't know what it is about the Germans, but they have a bunch of "fun" words for various gynecologic conditions and pains. For example, Mittelschermz is used to describe the one sided pain some women feel when they ovulate - the word literally means "middle pain". Spinnbarkeit is used to describe the discharge during that time - I don't know what it is about Germans and ovulation!
- One risk factor for breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers are the amount of estrogen a woman is exposed to during her lifetime. Nuns, who never experience an "estrogen vacation" unlike women who have been pregnant, have higher rates of these cancers.
- Matchbox sign is a pysciatric finding where a patient presents a collection of fibers and other objects (for example, small bugs) and claims they came out of their skin. It is specifically called the matchbox sign because the collection of objects is presented in an actual matchbox.
on the internet
- Dani's recent post about kayaking around the Bahamas made me so jealous! Seriously, go take a look at how awesome their trip was.
- I have this exact Ikea chair, so looks like I know what I'll be doing next weekend.
- Elyse shares how to be a competitive applicant for medical school applications.
- You know that bag from Nordstrom that looks just like the Madewell transport tote (but for 1/3 of the price)? Well, they just came out with an even better version because it now has a front pocket! I think I may order that black version (because hey, I needed a cognac clutch anyway!)
- It's going to be in the 70s this weekend! Time to finally pack away the heavy sweaters and pull out the few warmer weather clothes I have. I may have to stop by Old Navy to check out these linen shorts though - they look so comfortable!
- I have absolutely no where to wear this dress, but I'm in looooove with that pattern.
- Can you talk about your boards studying schedule? What resources did you use, how did you schedule yourself, etc.
- I only had 6 days between the end of second year and my boards to study, so I started studying the first day of second semester. I used Cram Fighter to make a schedule - my resources were First Aid, UWorld, Pathoma, and Memorang. I didn't want to use too many resources and get lost in all of it, so I stuck with the basics. I would listen to the pathoma vidoes first, then annotate the pathoma facts into First Aid. I read First Aid twice, and did like 95% of the UWorld questions. For the UWorld questions, I had a running document where I copied all the high yield information in. I read that document twice the week before I took my exam,
- I am heading to Rome for the first week of May! I have no idea what to pack. I'm a jeans and t-shirt on the weekend/ dresses for the work week kind of girl, with not a lot in between. We're going to be doing a lot of walking, and the temps look to be about 70 degrees. I'm willing to purchase a couple pieces- any suggestions?
- Ohhh, I'm so jealous! I've never been to Rome but it's definitely on my bucket list. Since it'll be spring and warm, my go-to outfit is always a nice cotton dress that you can wear several different ways (a few good options are this tank dress from Old Navy, or this chambray dress from J.Crew Factory). Both would look cute with some converse (with super low cut socks so your feet don't rub) and a cardigan for sleeveless dresses that you can easily take on and off (I believe you have to be a bit more covered up in certain parts of Rome? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). If you're like me and suffer from chub rub, light weight shorts like these found at Target under dresses will be your absolute best friend with all that walking!
- When you are taking pictures outside with your tripod, does anyone every stop to ask you questions/honk, etc?
- Sometimes! I've only had it happen a few times over the years. The first few times it happened, years ago, I told him it was for a school photography project. Now I just tell them it's for a blog, they just kind of look at me funny, and move on. I do get honked at quite a bit though, so I generally try to avoid busy roads! I just kinda pretend I don't see anyone, and get it done with as quickly as possible.
- Ann Taylor: 40% off almost everything
- Do any of you have experience with their popover camp shirts? I love how they look on the model, and that they come is quite a few colors!
- I haven't purchased a statement necklace in quite some time, but I'm intrigued by how versatile this lucite version could be.
- A polka dot wrap dress...need I say more?
- Banana Republic: 40% off everything
- Short sleeved silky blouses are my saving grace during warmer months - how fun is this thick striped version? Definitely going to keep my eye on it.
- I don't own any floral pencil skirts...but I sure am tempted by this pretty blue version. I think it could actually be pretty versatile since it has so many colors in it!
- A denim jacket is a must for spring, and it doesn't get more classic than this medium wash one. Mine is very similar, and I wear it all the time!
- Express: 40% off everything
- Nows the time to pick up my absolute favorite camisoles - I wear these on just about everything! I wear a size medium, and I find the really help "secure" everything, if you know what I mean!
- Their portofino shirts have a cult following, so I'd love to try out the olive polka dot version! So cute.
- Have any of you tried their slim editor pants? They look like something I'd love, so I'm wondering how they fit. True to size?
- I did my first 24 hour call this week. It's not required by the rotation, but I asked to do it so I could get a feel for what it's like. It ended up being more of a 28 hour call, but it definitely was worth it. Day in the life post coming hopefully this week!
- I used a free code to get a free box from Graze, and I ended up really liking it! I signed up to receive a box monthly now just to add a bit of variation to my usual snacks. Even CR is a bit excited about it (since it's something that comes in the mail that he can actually enjoy too haha).
- My attending introduced me to Clash of Clans this week, and now I can't stop playing. Anyone else playing it? I say we need to start a Clan ;)