|love me a great blazer :)|
- Beeturia is a term I learned on Grey's Anatomy this week. It's when someone eats a lot of beets, and then has pink or red urine! Who says you can't learn from tv?
- Radiation recall is an interesting (and uncommon) phenomenon that occurs in the treatment of cancer. It's an inflammation response to chemotherapy, but only in an area that had previously received radiation.
- Pelvic exenteration is a surgery that removes all organs from the pelvis. It's used as a last line of therapy for patients who have recurring pelvic cancer that hasn't responded to chemo or radiation. I have never seen this surgery, but one of my close friends participated in one this week.
on the internet
- Not living up to inspiration is something I've struggled with since I started blogging, so it was comforting to hear from Nicole that I'm not the only one who struggles with the comparison game.
- I always love a good outtakes post!
- 3 tips on how to dress with confidence.
- I usually stick with flat boots, but this pair from Hinge makes me reconsider my stance. The reviews on there can't stop raving about them!
- This weekend, I saw this beautiful silk blouse at J.Crew - they only had 00 left in store, so fingers crossed it works out when it arrives in a few days!
- From far away, this looks like any other cream dress, but the details are what it makes it so special.
ask me anything
- I'm your age but a 1st year medical student. My live-in relationship of 3.5 years just abruptly ended when he realized he apparently isn't as committed as he said he was. I know from reading your blog that something similar happened to you during your first semester. How on earth did you handle it?! Obviously there's no good time for a long-term relationship to end, but with the pressures of school, being far from home, feeling isolated, and now losing my partner, main supporter and best friend... it makes even a strong, stable, goal-oriented person like me feel incredibly daunted. Knowing that others have successfully made it through something like this helps, though, so I thought perhaps you had some thoughts you could share that you feel may have helped you when you were freshly single again unexpectedly, and in an intense environment like first semester of med school?
- First of all, I am so sorry this happened. You're right, a very similar thing happened to me when during the middle of first semester of first year, my then boyfriend of almost six years decided he would rather pursue someone else than stay with me. It was a pretty awful time for me, and there's no easy way to fix what has happened to you now. My biggest pieces of advice? This is a time to focus solely on you. Do the things you may have not done before, and focus on what is important in your life. School is obviously near the top - throw yourself into studying. Don't listen to sad music (I learned that the hard way - my roommate eventually banned me from listening to Mumford and Sons), join a study group, and study in public (less likely to be distracted or tempted to sit and have a cry session every 5 minutes). You worked too hard to get to this point to fall behind. You may not do great for a bit (I did the worst I've ever done in school the three weeks after the breakup happened) but you can't fail out now. Get to the gym to take out some aggression and clear your mind. And here's a big one - say yes to everything! Go to as many school events, ice cream invitations, and parties as you can. Finding a new support system, and new best friends takes effort and time, both which aren't easy, but both things you need now. You'll never know who you will meet and how they will influence your life, but you won't find them if you are sitting at home. Chin up - I promise it gets better, and eventually you will find that person who supports you 100%, and this will all be a distant memory.
- What tattoo are you getting removed?
- I have a small star tattoo on my left inner wrist that I got when I was 18 and feeling rebellious. Now I'm just feeling foolish, so I've been getting laser treatments at my dermatologist's office. I have one more session, and then I plan on writing a whole post about it!
- How do you wear your dresses in winter? Dark tights? Fleece tights?
- I mostly do fleece tights! I wear these from Target - only $10, and so comfy!
- Ann Taylor: 50% off everything
- I saw this geo coatigan in stores the other day and was thisclose to buying it. I love that pattern!
- A removable silk tie makes this blouse twice as versatile. I ordered the white color, but I also love that olive color. I also ordered this bib top - wouldn't it look so great under a blazer or tucked into a skirt?
- Kind of loving this turtle neck poncho combo - it just looks so comfy!
- Madewell: extra 30% off sale
- Did you guys hear about who the next designer collab is with Target?! It's Victoria Beckham! I'm beyond excited as I've always loved her aesthetic, and while I haven't been super excited about collaborations in the past few years, this is one I can't wait to see!
- I tried to go shopping yesterday and as you may have seen, I was not successful. I went to the King of Prussia mall, which is huge and beautiful, but I just don't think I'm in in store shopper anymore. I did get my steps in that day though!
- I'm off to the Poconos today to meet up with my best friend - we are having brunch, getting our nails done, and hiking, and I can.not.wait!