|this year's gift guides: for medical students, for stationery lovers, and for the iphone obsessed|
- A study done on kidney models has shown that riding roller coasters helped pass the kidney stones in the model kidneys. Obviously, the fact that it was done on models and not real humans doesn't make it the best study, but it was inspired by actual people claiming that the ride helped them pass their own kidney stones.
- Echolalia: unsolicited repetition of words made originally by another person. It is often seen in children with autism.
- Spontaneous regression of melanoma (the worst type of skin cancer) is extremely rare (there are only 76 documented cases), that some believe is due to immune responses.
on the internet
- My girl Laura got married a few weeks ago - I loved reading all about why they chose to do their wedding the way they did. It sounds romantic, intimate, and exactly what they wanted to do. I can't wait to see the pictures!
- Mili rounds up a beginners guide to K beauty brands - most found at places like Ulta, Nordstrom, Target, and Wal-Mart. I've used several of these brands, and completely agree with her assessment!
- I love this look on Laura - and again, I already have several of those pieces so I can be a total copycat!
- OMG, you guys. I just found the blouse I'm going to wear to NYE this year - we are having a little party at our house, and this sequin tee (under $40!!!) is definitely going to be mine.
- I'm going to Miami in January, and think a fun swingy dress (that's easily tied at the waist) would be a fun addition in my suitcase.
- My dark poncho top from last year is one of my favorites, and I've been looking for a similar one in a lighter tan color...and I finally found it! I like this style because it has actual sleeves and is a bit more flattering than a full on poncho.
ask me anything [you can ask questions here]
- I'm currently in undergrad, considering a career in medicine and thinking getting a very small, very meaningful tattoo (literally so small it looks almost like a mole if you aren't close up enough). I really want it on the inside of my wrist, but I know that tattoos can be looked down upon in the medical field. If it's that tiny, do you think it will be okay?
- I definitely think that won't be a problem, as long as it's something you know you'll want forever. I had a small wrist tattoo for most of medical school - the nice thing about wrist tattoos is that they are easily covered up by watches! I got my tattoo when I was 18 though, and by the time I was 28, I realized that it was something I no longer loved and it no longer meant anything to me, so I've been undergoing tattoo laser removal (I'm almost done with the process, and will be writing a post about that in the future!). If it's something you love and it's small, it's no big deal!
- After working as an engineer for a long time, I'm going back to school to with my final destination being a nurse anesthetist. At 36 years old, I sometimes get discouraged and feel like I'm doing this way late in the game...what is your advice to someone who is older?
- I definitely can understand your hesitation about being an older student when you compare yourself to the early twenties students you see otherwise. I like to think of it as you have one life, and it's a pretty long life, so you should do the thing that you think will make you the most happy. 36 is not old at all! You have many decades ahead of you, and so wouldn't you want to spend that time you will be working doing something you always wanted to do, rather than always looking back and wondering "what if?". I also think it's helps to not just compare yourself to others in life situations - I've said before that I'm one of the only non-married people in my high school class, so of course when I compare myself, as being unmarried without children, without a permanent home, yeah, that's hard. But I'm working towards something that makes me happy and fulfilled, and that's all that matters in the end!
- Any advice on fun Christmas sweaters? Bonus if they ship quickly!
- This is definitely a time where Amazon will be your best friend! They have a ton of cute options now, all with Prime shipping. If you're looking for a classic Christmas sweater, here are several different styles (although I love the one with all the little reindeer faces!). There's the option of having just a giant reindeer on your chest (hey, for under $10, not so bad!). If you want a slightly more subdued reindeer, this sweater looks adorable layered over a collared shirt. There's also the option of getting patterned leggings instead and wearing a solid colored tunic over top! And if all else fails, here are several DIY (NSFW) options that would definitely be a crowd pleaser ;)
- on the blog: an update on my current skin care routine
- on the instagram: my lips are winter ready
- on the twitter: thoughts while watching TLC shows...
- J.Crew Factory: 50-60% off everything
- If you have a fancier NYE planned than I do, I would highly recommend checking out this metallic v-neck dress - it is seriously gorgeous!
- Or, you can wear that sequin top mentioned above with chic black pants and these amazing block heels. I wish I wore heels more because I'd get them immediately!
- For work: a simple black and white blouse made special by the tuxedo style.
- Loft: 50% off everything (YAY!)
- Alright, we all know this split top white blouse is already in my cart, but can you blame me?! It's beautiful and goes with everything.
- If you like the look of the J.Crew Regent blazer but the price is too steep, Loft has a very similar style for less.
- If this medallion top were made in tall sizing, I would buy one in every color. I have a feeling it would be too boxy otherwise, but it's so pretty!
- Madewell: 25% off your entire order
- I've been wearing my grey riverside sweater all fall, and now I see they have the same style in a black/white version that is majorly on sale and I am so so tempted!
- Other tempting items - this mock turtleneck sweater. It's not typically my style (it's way more 'cool girl' than I am) but I also kind of love it?
- Their buffalo plaid skirt is also pretty darn cute - and because it's not super Christmas-y, you can wear it all fall and winter long!
- Shopbop sale section picks: a few awesome DvF pieces, rag & bone has lots of jeans + jackets on major sale, and tons of booties on sale. need a last minute gift? Try one of these scarves from Club Monaco!
- We were a few months behind, but in the last week, CR and I have watched the first season of Westworld and OMG. It was so good, I couldn't stop thinking about it! I downloaded the music, I started listening to podcasts about it (Decoding Westworld), and have already restarted watching the season from the beginning. Apparently season two doesn't come out until 2018?!
- I'm finally almost done with my Christmas shopping. I feel some years I'm so excited about the presents I'm giving, and other times, I find it so hard to shop for my closest friends and family members. This was one of those years where I really struggled! Anyone else?
- Poor Baer got into some garbage earlier this week, and now he's been a miserable wreck - throwing up, not eating, just wanting to cuddle all night and day. He's still going to the bathroom and drinking a bit here and there, so he's doing okay, but I hope my boy gets better soon. That'll teach them for playing around in garbage though!